It's something that I've unconsciously embraced in recent years, and enjoyed. I seem to have fondness for making up blocks and tweaking them around to form quilts as I go along.
So bearing this in mind I decided to take the simple wavy 'hourglass' block that I used for the Fat Quarterly Aurifil Challenge and extend it into blocks for a quilt. In my stash I had 5 lovely Zen fabrics, purchased a few years ago, and I worked out how to maximise the fabric usage in creating a block. To accompany the Zen fabrics I hand dyed 5 additional FQ's and additional fabric for background sashing and the quilt back.
Here's a guide as to how I cut out the FQ's, and pieced them together.
Then I worked out the format/placement of the blocks.
Once the blocks were made, and they pieced together quite quickly, I sorted out a random placement to ensure that positive and negative blocks using the same fabrics weren't placed beside each other.
Unfortunately there was a bit of stress with the quilting. I had certain ideas for quilting that I'd like to have used, but as I was quilting on a domestic machine and the throat bed wasn't deep enough the lovely looping pattern I'd planned wouldn't work (I couldn't get a lovely smooth loop as I'd have to stop and start along the length of the loop). So after some trial and error, and quite a bit of unpicking I came up with this for each block.
And this is how the finished quilt looks........
So to summarise -
- finished quilt measures: approx 60x78"
- techniques used: improv, pieced, hand dyed fabrics combined with commercial
- quilted by: by self on domestic sewing machine
- best categories: bed quilt, home machine quilt